Wednesday, November 10, 2010

making the team

True conversation in the car coming home from basketball try outs last friday the 5th.

"What do you think LT?"
"110 percent chance I'm going to make it auntie."

SIDEBAR: when you're young, percentages go from zero to infinity.

"Feeling pretty good there?"
"At any given try outs, the top five kids stand out, and the bottom five kids stand out, it's the rest of the field that the coaches have to weed out."
"Umm okay, and where did you get this from?"
"I'm just saying, that's how it works."

SIDEBAR: "i'm just saying" is code for pulled it out of my ass.

"Okay, you did a good job today of weeding yourself out."
"Your play doesn't have anything to do with it, because we are all pretty much the same level. But, I got it taken care of auntie."
"I'm scared to ask LT."
"I've introduced myself in email this summer, and I've been in his office to chat."
"Chat? Like see how his wife is doing? If he is diversifying his portfolio?"
"Aaaunntttiieee."

SIDEBAR: i have never Eddie Haskelled any of my teachers when i was younger, so i was only half kidding with the whole portfolio thing.

"Talked sports, 9ers, Giants, sports, relationship building stuff."
"Okay LT, no more day time talk shows for you."
"He knows more about me than he does the other kids auntie."
"Here LT, add this box of milk duds to the relationship building."

The list for the 2010-2011 basketball team came out on tuesday. My little nephew (aka little eddie as i refer to him now) made the final cut. Relationship building and milk duds, that's how the Trinhs roll, "i'm just saying."

No comments:

Post a Comment